Thursday 16 July 2015

If you were a crisp...

So, as I've mentioned previously, I love my job, but we all know the brutality of wages within the animal welfare sector. Chuck working for a charity in the mix and you may as well wave goodbye to your salary.

I've had an expensive few months for many a reason, and my lovely bank told me a few weeks back that I really needed to start thinking about paying off my student overdraft. It's been about 4 years since I've been in the green, so they're probably right. So, in an attempt to settle my finances, I recently got a part-time job in a bar in Clapham Common.

Clapham is an interesting area of London; it definitely habituates people from all walks of life. On my walk to work last week I saw a woman throwing what I can only presume was her (ex) partner's belongings out of a 4th floor flat window, on to the concrete below (his TV made the loudest crash...). On the same walk I overheard a conversation from a 'suit' which went something like ''I want a middle of the road kinda girl. Not stunningly pretty, too much work! And nothing (yes he referred to his future girl as a 'thing') too ugly, because, well, then she'd be ugly.'' He was actually so engrossed in his conversation that he tripped down the curb when crossing the road, and unsuccessfully tried to right himself. It gave me a giggle if nothing else. Embarrassingly I then served him at the bar and overheard him having a similar conversation with another buddy; it's here I learnt his search seemed almost entirely restricted to Tinder. Classy. The common is nice however, good for dog walks and a cheeky beer on a sunny afternoon.

I find the job surprisingly refreshing; plus the other night I earned more in tips than wages... definitely not complaining. I don't need to use my brain a lot and the conversation isn't always centred around dogs. For example, on Thursday night this week, a colleague who has recently started as well asked me 'If I was a crisp, what would I be?' 

Tough question. 

I thought about it for a little while and then decided on Doritos Cool Original. Why? Because I'm not really that interesting, but go well with a lot of things. 

Her response was Monster Munch Pickled Onion. Why? Because one is alright but then they just get annoying...



It was a pretty honest, yet apt answer. Lovely girl, but from Hastings (as in 1066, Battle of, etc.). Coincidentally, I grew up not far from there and as a 14 year old it had the best street corners around. Now that I'm attempting to 'adult', I struggle to see much past the high teenage pregnancy rate and the 10am queues outside Wetherspoons. They leave that bit out of the guide books...

The same girl asked the question 'If you were a muffin, what would you be?'. Her response was 'Lemon and poppy seed, because I have freckles'. Just about sums it up...

No comments:

Post a Comment